Aluvion. Creating new land from the old. And that’s what we are doing. Using technology to bring people, business and the law together in new ways. In 2014, Aluvion was conceived by a small group of Bay St. veteran lawyers eager to do things differently.
How do we do it?
Create Great Products
Our clients are sophisticated business people, entrepreneurs and industry leaders. They are savvy professionals who know exactly what they need when it comes to legal services and products. We understand that. We also understand that our client’s need for legal support isn’t constant and clients need the flexibility to deal with unexpected legal hurdles in cost effective ways.
Work from Wherever you work Best
Happy lawyers deliver excellent work. We know that. And our cloud based system means that our lawyers are able and encouraged to work whenever and wherever they work best. Our network of lawyers stretches all over Ontario and through our reliance on new technology, we are able to stay connected to each other and to our clients, regardless of where we are.
We keep productivity and responsiveness high and keep costs down.
Focus on Culture
What it means to Do Legal Differently...
Our focus isn’t solely on doing transactions for our clients. Our focus is building relationships. At our firm, our goal is to provide every client with the personal attention they need and the respect for their time and money they deserve. We definitely don’t have any priceless artwork on the wall… but what we do have is a colourful print reminding us everyday of what it means to Do Legal Differently.
- Do great law.
- Work from wherever you work best.
- Being smart without ego is awesome.
- Clients like responsiveness.
- Be transparent on costs.
- Disruption is a good thing.
Meet our team. We all have different stories. We come from Big Law firms like Stikeman Elliott or Torys. Some of us have entrepreneurial backgrounds and have run our own business. But we all have one thing in common – a commitment to doing this ‘lawyer’ thing in a new way.
Eric’s corporate and securities practice focuses primarily on entrepreneurs, early stage and emerging market companies and the investment dealers, angel networks and other investors and lenders serving this market segment.
Read more about Eric...
- Eric is the co-founder of Organimi, a provider of online org charts, photoboards and directories.
- Eric has owned, operated and held board or senior management positions in several Canadian public and private technology companies;
- Principal, Aluvion Law
- Co-founder, Organimi
- Member, Golden Triangle Angel Network
- Managing Partner, Wildeboer Dellelce LLP (Waterloo)
- President, Angoss Software
- Founding Partner, Wildeboer Apps
- Lawyer, Stikeman Elliott LLP
- LLM, University of Toronto
- LL.B., University of Toronto
- B.A., University of Toronto
A dedicated Toronto cyclist for most of his life, Eric bikes to work on all but the snowiest days and may or may not change out of cycling gear on arriving at the office, to the dismay and amusement of colleagues. Eric is also an avid reader, swimmer and snowboarder. In the summer he can be found dockside at his family cottage with his wife and two daughters. But you might also find him rocking out in the baritone section of Choir! Choir! Choir! Eric is also currently involved in organizing efforts to help a Syrian family establish new lives in Canada.
My Aluvion is all about helping our clients achieve their dreams and creating a built to last team of smart, engaged innovators who laugh together every day.
Michael’s broad corporate/commercial and securities practice supports the needs of growth stage companies looking to raise capital, grow their operations, or add efficiencies and governance.
Read more about Michael...
Michael has practiced big law and small law and has held senior management positions in two Canadian public companies, one in the telecom space and the other in the loyalty marketing/analytics space. This provides a solid base of business and legal experience that clients appreciate.
- Principal, Aluvion Law
- General Counsel, COO, The Futura Loyalty Group Inc.
- General Counsel, Axxent Inc.
- Director of Associate Programs, Goodmans LLP
- Lawyer, Stikeman Elliott LLP
- L.L.B., Osgoode Hall
- BA (Honours), McGill University
- Michael’s two main passions are animal welfare and fitness. Sometime the two do meet when Michael and his beautiful INDog, Chutney, are seen running through Toronto ravines, Michael chasing Chutney and Chutney chasing squirrels. Michael is also an avid mountain biker and loves to roam through the trails of the Don Valley. Michael and his partner Chitty love to discover the ever increasing vegan fare that Toronto has to offer and also enjoy tending to their back yard garden when the mosquitos are not too menacing.
- My Aluvion is all about the people. The people that are behind the contracts, the people that I work with and the people that I meet, all of whom enhance my life every day. My Aluvion is about creating a collaborative environment that sparks new ideas and challenges tradition and a culture that embraces flexibility and inclusiveness.
Suzanne practices corporate and securities law, with an emphasis on corporate finance. Suzanne has represented issuers in a variety of public offerings for debt and equity. Suzanne also does ongoing corporate and securities work for a number of clients.
Read more about Suzanne...
- Torys LLP
- Stikeman Elliott LLP
- J. D., University of Toronto,
- M.A., B.A. (Honours), B.Sc. (Honours), Queen’s University
Suzanne can vaguely recall a time before becoming a mom when she had time to have interests and a life outside the playground and seems to remember loving to travel and a life long love of getting lost in a good book. Suzanne has lived, worked or studied in Ottawa, Kingston, Toronto, Boston, MA, London, England and Amsterdam. Now, as a mother to three busy little boys, she divides her time between work, the school yard, the local swimming pool and the ski hill. Balancing a legal practice and raising three little people can be tricky and has meant making certain choices around top priorities. Suzanne works a flexible, part time schedule. Travel is now to less exotic but just as lovely destinations, mostly to the family cottage in Frontenac County…. but she is still never without a good book.
Maybe you can have it all. You just have to do things a bit differently. For me, Aluvion is about doing interesting work with great people and still having the flexibility to be there for my family.
Jonathan is an associate practicing in the areas of corporate securities, business transfers, and corporate/commercial litigation, where he seeks to leverage his entrepreneurial background to help his clients work through both their legal and business needs.
Read more about Jonathan...
Jonathan also maintains a litigation practice and has successfully appeared in front of the Small Claims Court, Superior Court of Justice, Divisional Court of Ontario, and various tribunals.
- Aluvion P.C.
- Pro Bono Law Ontario
- B.A. (Honours) McGill University
- L.L.B., University of Leicester
Jonathan was born and raised in a small town outside of Barrie, Ontario. While he now lives in the downtown core, Jonathan tries to find time to maintain his love of the outdoors by playing soccer and volleyball, fishing, visiting cottages, and spending time on well-sunned patios during the summer months. Prior to moving to Toronto, Jonathan studied in both Montreal and in Leicester, England. Jonathan is an avid reader, sports fan, red wine aficionado, and travel enthusiast. After having attended the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, is currently making preparations to attend the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
My Aluvion is about changing the way businesses access legal services and the way lawyers provide these services.
LIANA DI GIORGIO
Liana practices corporate and tax law, and is developing her corporate tax and estate planning practice. She has experience working in finance and articled in commercial litigation.
Read more about Liana..
- MNP LLP
- Lipman Zener & Waxman LLP
- J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School
- B.Com., Queen’s University
Liana enjoys nothing more than checking out live music. She is an avid music fan, and a multi-talented musician and artist. She frequently volunteers with local music and arts festivals, is a member at the AGO, and provides pro-bono legal services for a not-for-profit gallery in Toronto. Liana is also an active member of her yoga studio’s community and has ambitions to pursue her yoga teacher training certification. She is fluent in French and Italian, and has studied Spanish and German – these skills came in handy when she lived in Milan, and during her backpacking trips to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and South America. Most importantly, Liana has a soft spot for good cheese.
My Aluvion is about building my practice in an environment that not only allows me to work with bright, ambitious clients, but also with a team of talented lawyers who provide great mentorship.
Meaghan practices in the area of corporate/commercial litigation with a focus on contractual disputes, shareholder disputes, collection matters, intellectual property infringement, defamation, professional negligence, insolvency, fraud and creditor rights.
Read more about Meaghan...
Meaghan also has experience in maritime and transport law as well as government accountability. Meaghan has effectively represented individuals and businesses in litigation before the Superior Court of Ontario, Commercial List, Federal Court of Canada, as well as in various administrative tribunals.
- Magrath O’Connor LLP
- O’Connor Richardson P.C.
- J.D., Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie Univeristy
- B.Sc. (Honours), Queen’s University
At a young age, Meaghan became passionate about travel and the environment and was always taking on new causes (much to the chagrin of family!). When family and friends told Meaghan she should consider a career in the law, in typical devil’s advocate form, Meaghan pursued a degree in environmental science. Finally coming into her true self, Meaghan discovered (or acknowledged) a passion for advocacy and now spends her time taking on her client’s causes and advocating zealously on their behalf. In her free time, Meaghan can be found taking epically long walks throughout Toronto’s various neighbourhoods exploring new restaurants and boutiques.
For me, Aluvion is about shifting the practice of litigation towards a more collaborative approach. I strive to work with clients to resolve their disputes in a financially efficient manner with reasoned, strategic and objective advice.
As the newest member of the Aluvion team, Katelyn is eagerly developing her corporate practice after articling at a small litigation firm.
Read more about Katelyn...
- Aluvion P.C.
- Clarke Law P.C.
- J.D., Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie University
- International Business Law Certificate, Bader International Study Centre, Queens University
- B.B.A., F.C. Manning School of Business, Acadia University
Despite being a born and raised Maritimer, after two years Katelyn has come to affectionately call Toronto home. This could be due to the longer, warmer patio seasons or the array of professional sporting events Toronto has to offer (Go Jays go!). Katelyn is also a travel fanatic and even obtained her certificate in International Business Law in England during law school. In her free time Katelyn is devoted to giving back to her community. Katelyn is currently volunteering with Lifeline Syria to help Syrian refugees with their applications to come to Canada.
My Aluvion is about providing exceptional legal services to clients with a collaborative team of positive and innovative lawyers, all whilst expanding my experience in the exciting world of corporate law.
Ken is an entrepreneurial technology executive who serves as Chief Technology Officer at Aluvion, although he could also be described as the Chief Knowledge Seeker. Ken loves building cool products and solutions. He is dedicated to providing Aluvion’s clients and practitioners innovative and practical tools that drive down the cost of legal services and enable lawyers to focus on adding value to their client’s businesses.
Read more about Ken...
Ken has deep experience creating software for data mining, analytics and wearables that has been used by some of the world’s largest financial services and technology companies. He is a visionary who also roles up his sleeves to get stuff done.
- Vice President – Analytics, Rangle
- Principal and Chief Technology Officer, Fabrica Technology
- Chief Technology Officer, Myant Capital Partners
- Vice President, Analytics and Innovation, NexJ Systems
- Chief Technology Officer, Angoss Software
- When not receiving therapy for OCD (obsessive cycling disorder), Ken enjoys playing bass in a classic rock band, and enjoys the outdoor life with his family and frequents Algonquin and Killarney provincial parks.
- My Aluvion is about using cloud, automation and cognitive technologies to revolutionize the way legal services are delivered and received.
Lorena is Aluvion’s dynamic and dedicated office manager. She ensures the day-to day operations run smoothly and does a great job of keeping our many ducks in a row. Her managerial skills are only part of what she brings to the table.
Read more about Lorena...
She is fluent in Spanish and has over 10 years of experience in areas such as immigration, criminal and entertainment law. Lorena has a passion for knowledge, and Googles everything she doesn’t know about yet, making her the go-to person for almost anything.
- Addario Law Group
- Sack Goldblatt Mitchell LLP
- Partners Film Inc.
- Court & Tribunal Agent (Honours), Humber College
- Law Clerk, Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario
Lorena is a Toronto native and a self-proclaimed trivia nerd with a love for dogs, travelling and reading. When she is not brushing up on her subject matter du jour, she is cooking up new cuisines, practicing yoga, studying Italian and French, and imploring people not to litter.
My Aluvion is about offering everybody the VIP treatment – be it a big time CEO or a one-person shop. It is about being inclusive and accommodating and offering the same level of excellence to all.
“Teamwork is working together — even when apart.”
Who are we?
- Veteran Bay Street lawyers looking to subvert the model of the tradition law firm.
- Parents, who are also lawyers, who are ACTUALLY balancing work and home life instead of just talking about it.
- The next generation of young professionals who don’t see why working hard has to mean sitting in the office from dawn til dusk…. Or longer.
Are you who we’re looking for?
We are a growing firm. We want to add smart, efficient, cool lawyers to our team.
Are you looking for a challenging, exciting opportunity to practice law outside the confines and traditions of a traditional law firm? Ask yourself:
- What matters more? Where you do the work? Or the quality of the work you deliver?
- Do you value flexibility over structure?
- Do you want to spend more time out of the office than in it?
- Are you willing to experiment with new technology to find ways to work fast and smarter?
- Are you ready for a change?
Do these ideas resonate with you?Contact us to talk about what the future might look like.
We do not have any current job opportunities but we are always looking to meet new and interesting people. Contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about us and tell us more about you.