Aluvion. Creating new land from the old. And that’s what we are doing. Using technology to bring people, business and the law together in new ways. In 2014, Aluvion was conceived by a small group of Bay St. veteran lawyers eager to do things differently.
How do we do it?
Create Great Products
Work from Wherever you work Best
Happy lawyers deliver excellent work. We know that. And our cloud based system means that our lawyers are able and encouraged to work whenever and wherever they work best. Our network of lawyers stretches all over Ontario and through our reliance on new technology, we are able to stay connected to each other and to our clients, regardless of where we are.
We keep productivity and responsiveness high and keep costs down.
Focus on Culture
What it means to Do Legal Differently...
Our focus isn’t solely on doing transactions for our clients. Our focus is building relationships. At our firm, our goal is to provide every client with the personal attention they need and the respect for their time and money they deserve. We definitely don’t have any priceless artwork on the wall… but what we do have is a colourful print reminding us everyday of what it means to Do Legal Differently.
- Do great law.
- Work from wherever you work best.
- Being smart without ego is awesome.
- Clients like responsiveness.
- Be transparent on costs.
- Disruption is a good thing.
Meet our team. We all have different stories. We come from Big Law firms like Stikeman Elliott or Torys. Some of us have entrepreneurial backgrounds and have run our own business. But we all have one thing in common – a commitment to doing this ‘lawyer’ thing in a new way.
Eric’s corporate and securities practice focuses primarily on entrepreneurs, early stage and emerging market companies and the investment dealers, angel networks and other investors and lenders serving this market segment.
Read more about Eric...
- Eric is the co-founder of Organimi, a provider of online org charts, photoboards and directories.
- Eric has owned, operated and held board or senior management positions in several Canadian public and private technology companies;
- Principal, Aluvion Law
- Co-founder, Organimi
- Member, Golden Triangle Angel Network
- Managing Partner, Wildeboer Dellelce LLP (Waterloo)
- President, Angoss Software
- Founding Partner, Wildeboer Apps
- Lawyer, Stikeman Elliott LLP
- LLM, University of Toronto
- LL.B., University of Toronto
- B.A., University of Toronto
A dedicated Toronto cyclist for most of his life, Eric bikes to work on all but the snowiest days and may or may not change out of cycling gear on arriving at the office, to the dismay and amusement of colleagues. Eric is also an avid reader, swimmer and snowboarder. In the summer he can be found dockside at his family cottage with his wife and two daughters. But you might also find him rocking out in the baritone section of Choir! Choir! Choir! Eric is also currently involved in organizing efforts to help a Syrian family establish new lives in Canada.
My Aluvion is all about helping our clients achieve their dreams and creating a built to last team of smart, engaged innovators who laugh together every day.
Michael’s broad corporate/commercial and securities practice supports the needs of growth stage companies looking to raise capital, grow their operations, or add efficiencies and governance.
Read more about Michael...
Michael has practiced big law and small law and has held senior management positions in two Canadian public companies, one in the telecom space and the other in the loyalty marketing/analytics space. This provides a solid base of business and legal experience that clients appreciate.
- Principal, Aluvion Law
- General Counsel, COO, The Futura Loyalty Group Inc.
- General Counsel, Axxent Inc.
- Director of Associate Programs, Goodmans LLP
- Lawyer, Stikeman Elliott LLP
- L.L.B., Osgoode Hall
- BA (Honours), McGill University
- Michael’s two main passions are animals and fitness. Michael enjoys roaming through the trails of the Don Valley on his mountain bike. Michael and his partner Chitty love to discover the ever increasing vegan fare that Toronto has to offer and also enjoy tending to their backyard garden when the mosquitos are not too menacing.
- My Aluvion is all about the people. The people that are behind the contracts, the people that I work with and the people that I meet, all of whom enhance my life every day. My Aluvion is about creating a collaborative environment that sparks new ideas and challenges tradition and a culture that embraces flexibility and inclusiveness.
Jonathan is an associate practicing in the areas of corporate securities, business transfers, and corporate/commercial litigation, where he seeks to leverage his entrepreneurial background to help his clients work through both their legal and business needs.
Read more about Jonathan...
Jonathan also maintains a litigation practice and has successfully appeared in front of the Small Claims Court, Superior Court of Justice, Divisional Court of Ontario, and various tribunals.
- Lawyer, Aluvion P.C.
- Pro Bono Law Ontario
- B.A. (Honours) McGill University
- L.L.B., University of Leicester
Jonathan was born and raised in a small town outside of Barrie, Ontario. While he now lives in the downtown core, Jonathan tries to find time to maintain his love of the outdoors by playing soccer and volleyball, fishing, visiting cottages, and spending time on well-sunned patios during the summer months. Prior to moving to Toronto, Jonathan studied in both Montreal and in Leicester, England. Jonathan is an avid reader, sports fan, red wine aficionado, and travel enthusiast. After having attended the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, is currently making preparations to attend the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
My Aluvion is about changing the way businesses access legal services and the way lawyers provide these services.
Meaghan practices in the area of corporate/commercial litigation with a focus on contractual disputes, shareholder disputes, collection matters, intellectual property infringement, defamation, professional negligence, insolvency, fraud and creditor rights.
Read more about Meaghan...
Meaghan also has experience in maritime and transport law as well as government accountability. Meaghan has effectively represented individuals and businesses in litigation before the Superior Court of Ontario, Commercial List, Federal Court of Canada, as well as in various administrative tribunals.
- Lawyer, Aluvion P.C.
- Magrath O’Connor LLP
- O’Connor Richardson P.C.
- J.D., Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie Univeristy
- B.Sc. (Honours), Queen’s University
At a young age, Meaghan became passionate about travel and the environment and was always taking on new causes (much to the chagrin of family!). When family and friends told Meaghan she should consider a career in the law, in typical devil’s advocate form, Meaghan pursued a degree in environmental science. Finally coming into her true self, Meaghan discovered (or acknowledged) a passion for advocacy and now spends her time taking on her client’s causes and advocating zealously on their behalf. In her free time, Meaghan can be found taking epically long walks throughout Toronto’s various neighbourhoods exploring new restaurants and boutiques.
For me, Aluvion is about shifting the practice of litigation towards a more collaborative approach. I strive to work with clients to resolve their disputes in a financially efficient manner with reasoned, strategic and objective advice.
As the newest member of the Aluvion team, Katelyn is eagerly developing her corporate practice after articling at a small litigation firm.
Read more about Katelyn...
- Lawyer, Aluvion P.C.
- Clarke Law P.C.
- J.D., Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie University
- International Business Law Certificate, Bader International Study Centre, Queens University
- B.B.A., F.C. Manning School of Business, Acadia University
Despite being a born and raised Maritimer, after two years Katelyn has come to affectionately call Toronto home. This could be due to the longer, warmer patio seasons or the array of professional sporting events Toronto has to offer (Go Jays go!). Katelyn is also a travel fanatic and even obtained her certificate in International Business Law in England during law school. In her free time Katelyn is devoted to giving back to her community. Katelyn is currently volunteering with Lifeline Syria to help Syrian refugees with their applications to come to Canada.
My Aluvion is about providing exceptional legal services to clients with a collaborative team of positive and innovative lawyers, all whilst expanding my experience in the exciting world of corporate law.
After completing her articles with Aluvion and joining the team as an associate, Jessica is looking forward to building her corporate practice in a collaborative, flexible and innovative environment.
Read more about Jess...
- Associate, Aluvion P.C.
- 35th District Court, Plymouth, MI
- Detroit Mercy Housing Law Clinic
- J.D., University of Windsor Faculty of Law
- J.D., cum laude, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
- B.A., Arts and Contemporary Studies, Ryerson University
Jessica was born and raised in Kamloops, British Columbia. She moved to Ontario ten years ago and now has the best of both worlds: Living in bustling downtown Toronto and spending time in the great outdoors with her friends and family on the West Coast. Drawing on her days working as a baker and in the service industry, Jessica enjoys cooking, baking and entertaining. It is important to Jessica to spend time helping others, and throughout law school she volunteered with the United Way in Windsor and the Pope Francis warming center and soup kitchen in Detroit. Jessica loves to combine her passions with travel, having learned to scuba dive in the Maldives, attended cooking schools in Thailand, Laos, and India and worked at an orphanage for children living with HIV/AIDS in Ethiopia.
My Aluvion is about working with and learning from a team of innovative lawyers that are committed to changing the way legal services are provided to suit the evolving needs of clients.
Lorena is Aluvion’s dynamic and dedicated office manager. She ensures the day-to day operations run smoothly and does a great job of keeping our many ducks in a row. Her managerial skills are only part of what she brings to the table.
Read more about Lorena...
She is fluent in Spanish and has over 10 years of experience in areas such as immigration, criminal and entertainment law. Lorena has a passion for knowledge, and Googles everything she doesn’t know about yet, making her the go-to person for almost anything.
- Office Manager, Aluvion P.C.
- Addario Law Group
- Sack Goldblatt Mitchell LLP
- Partners Film Inc.
- Court & Tribunal Agent (Honours), Humber College
- Law Clerk, Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario
Lorena is a Toronto native and a self-proclaimed trivia nerd with a love for dogs, travelling and reading. When she is not brushing up on her subject matter du jour, she is cooking up new cuisines, practicing yoga, studying Italian and French, and imploring people not to litter.
My Aluvion is about offering everybody the VIP treatment – be it a big time CEO or a one-person shop. It is about being inclusive and accommodating and offering the same level of excellence to all.
“Teamwork is working together — even when apart.”
Who are we?
- Veteran Bay Street lawyers looking to subvert the model of the tradition law firm.
- Parents, who are also lawyers, who are ACTUALLY balancing work and home life instead of just talking about it.
- The next generation of young professionals who don’t see why working hard has to mean sitting in the office from dawn til dusk…. Or longer.
Are you who we’re looking for?
We are a growing firm. We want to add smart, efficient, cool lawyers to our team.
Are you looking for a challenging, exciting opportunity to practice law outside the confines and traditions of a traditional law firm? Ask yourself:
- What matters more? Where you do the work? Or the quality of the work you deliver?
- Do you value flexibility over structure?
- Do you want to spend more time out of the office than in it?
- Are you willing to experiment with new technology to find ways to work fast and smarter?
- Are you ready for a change?